Why is it important to use a VPN?
There's no such thing as too much safety. Whenever you're making any crypto transactions, we strongly recommend you do it with a VPN on.
How does a VPN work?
A VPN acts as an intermediary between you and the online service you're accessing. The service won't be able to track the request back to you, as they'll see it as if it was coming from the VPN address.
What's more, a VPN can protect you from local crypto fraud if you're using your wallet on public Wi-Fi. Usually, connecting to such a network would make you vulnerable to a wide variety of attacks. These include:
- infecting your device with data stealing malware;
- the Man-in-the-Middle attack, where the hacker interferes with your connection and can redirect you to a scam website.
A VPN shields you against any attacks exploiting public Wi-Fi's vulnerabilities, thus adding another layer of protection for your crypto.
Why should I use a VPN with my Atomic Wallet?
Atomic Wallet is an interface that helps you access the blockchain. It isn't a deposit box you put your funds into — its role is much more similar to that of a bank teller. Naturally, it may take longer for the wallet app to update your balances if your internet connection is unstable. If you're living in a country known for restrictive internet policies, a VPN is necessary to establish a stable and secure connection.
With no VPN on, you may encounter these issues:
- Your balance is at zero, even though you've deposited some crypto to your address. This can be caused by internet connection issues, so try to choose some other Wi-Fi network, switch to mobile data, or set up a VPN.
- You're getting the Block explorer is currently unavailable error message when trying to send your crypto.
- You're getting the Can’t send now error message when trying to send your crypto.
- You're getting the Can't claim now error message when trying to claim your staking rewards.
In either of the above cases, don't worry. Your crypto is always safe on the blockchain, and display bugs can't have any impact on your actual balance. In most cases, a VPN will help the app to establish a stable connection to the blockchain and display your balance.
Which VPN should I choose?
Depending on how often you make crypto transactions, you can opt for either free or paid VPN services. Free versions are usually either free trials or have severe pitfalls to consider. For example, these may hinder your internet connection speed or collect your browsing history for ad purposes.